Healthy Japanese Comfort Food Recipe: Okayu!
If you need a boost on these cold winter days or if you are feeling unwell, you should try Okayu! What could possibly be more comforting than a nice bowl of Japanese rice porridge (okayu)! Here is the recipe so you can try making it at home too.
What is Okayu?
-1/2 cup of white rice
-3 cup of water
-1/4 tsp of salt
-Chopped green onions
-A few pieces of grilled salmon
-A pickled plum
1.Wash the rice and drain it. Put the rice in a ceramic or heavy-bottomed pot, add 3 cups of water. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the rice and water over medium-high heat with a cover, and bring to a boil. Cook over low heat for another 30-40 minutes.
3. Turn the heat off and set it aside for about 10 minutes with the cover still on.
4. Season the rice with salt, and serve the toppings separately. You can use any of the toppings suggested above, or none at all if you have a very little appetite.
5. And that's it! It's a great comforting meal, you'll feel like someone hugged you back to health!
Check out our FB page about vegetarian/vegan resto suggestions
- Lili Wanderlust
- I love travelling and discovering new cuisines. Japan has a panoply of local dishes to try. I also love yoga, coffee, reading, and cycling.